National Car Care Month is in October! Here are a few suggestions on some quick cosmetic fixes for your car that you can do on your own, and some recommendations for the larger services you’d prefer not to do in your garage. When you know where to go, it’s easy to find free car maintenance services and diagnostics.*
Auto-Zone provides many free in-store services as well as a wealth of online support for all of your car needs. Find a store near you to take advantage of:
- Free testing. They’ll test your car’s battery, alternator, starter, voltage regulator, and starting and charging systems for free. Most stores can also test control modules, coils, throttle position sensors, and other engine components. When you know exactly what’s wrong with your car, you won’t have to buy a part you don’t need.
- Free battery charging. Accidently left your lights on all night? Take your battery to Auto-Zone. They can charge a 12-volt battery in about 30 minutes and also offer overnight battery charging for 6 or 12-volt lawn, motorcycle, and marine batteries.
- Free oil and battery recycling. Some auto repair shops will charge you a fee to dispose of your old motor oil or battery. Every Auto-Zone store accepts used batteries for recycling and most stores accept used motor oil. Call your local Auto-Zone store to find out more.
- Free repair tools. If you have the skills to repair your car on your own, you can easily get the specialty tools you need for free through Auto-Zone’s Loan-A-Tool® service. They offer an extensive selection of seldom-used, expensive-to-own tools that can help you get the job done, just leave a deposit at the store when you pick up the tool. Your deposit is refunded when you return the tool.
Join Pep Boys free rewards program and you can take advantage of a host of free services. Pep Boys encourages you to make an appointment online for the following free services:
- Free battery testing and installation. You’ll need to purchase a battery from Pep Boys in order to get it installed for free, but their installation service includes the disposal of the old battery, and inspection and cleaning of the battery tray and cable terminal ends.
- Free tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) check-up. Properly inflated tires are essential to staying safe on the road. Pep Boys will test each of your vehicle’s TPMS sensor batteries, check and set tire pressure to your vehicle’s specification, and do an overall courtesy vehicle inspection.
- Free code retrieval. Is your check engine light on? It could mean a major repair, or it could be as simple as a loose gas cap. A Pep Boys technician will scan your car’s computer board, document the diagnostic trouble code along with a description of the problem, and give you an estimated cost for repair.
- Free brake inspection. Pep Boys will help you determine whether or not you need brake service, or a brake component replaced.
- Free windshield wiper installation. Purchase new wipers at Pep Boys and they’ll install them for free, right in the parking lot!
- Free tire rotation. Pep Boys will rotate your tires for free with any oil change or tire purchase.
Advance Auto Parts
Like Pep Boys and Auto-Zone, most Advance Auto Parts locations offers similar free services that include free battery installation, testing, and recycling. Find your local Advance Auto Parts store.
Discount Tire stores give free tire rotations, flat repairs, and air checks, even if you didn’t originally purchase your tires from them. Call your local Discount Tire to make an appointment and confirm that their location offers these free services.
What a pleasant surprise! Need an oil change, major repair service, or set of new tires? Here are some coupons to help out with the costs!
Where do you prefer to get your free car repairs serviced? Let us know in the comments below!
Are you getting the most mileage out of your car insurance? Speak with one of our licensed agents today to learn more! Call 1-877-463-4732 or visit our website at www.directauto.com to get started now!