Is your A/C blowing warm air, stinky air, or no air at all? If so, it might be time for an A/C repair and performance check, a service that many auto repair shops across the country offer for free.
A quick check can help you identify the problem, stay ahead of bigger ones, and budget for any repairs that might be needed in the future. Once you know what the problem is, you might even be able to fix it yourself. Here’s our list of places that offer this valuable service for free so you can beat the heat this summer.
Where to Get a Free Car A/C Check Near Me?
Want to make sure your car stays cool throughout the summer? Visit a participating AAMCO location for a free check of the A/C system. Experts “will visually inspect hoses, lines, seals, and other components for leaks, check temperature readings, check that your compressor is operating properly, and inspect the drive belt for cracks or damage.” If something is wrong, you’ll have to pay for repairs, but the inspection won’t cost you anything. Be sure to call ahead—their locations are independently owned and operated so not all of them offer this courtesy service.
Pep Boys offers a host of free testing and recycling services. According to their website, a free A/C Quick Check is available at all Pep Boys locations outside California and Puerto Rico. It includes:
- Visual inspection of the A/C system
- Outlet temperature analysis
- Check of system pressure readings
- Recommendations if additional diagnostics or repair services (charges may apply) are needed
Midas offers a courtesy check with any maintenance or repair service. It involves an inspection of major vehicle components including the engine, transmission system, and car A/C system. Keep in mind that this check is only free if you purchase another service from Midas. See this checklist for everything Midas covers in their courtesy check.
The Local Guys
When in doubt, shop local! Ask your local auto shop if they offer free A/C performance checks. Depending on where you live, you may find free car A/C checks around the corner from your home or office.
Here are some local providers that advertise free car A/C checks on their website:
- Autoworx in New Port Richey, FL
- Big Mechanic in Tampa, FL
- Riverview Tire and Auto Center in Bahama, NC
- Red Line Auto Services in Charlotte, North Carolina
- AutoMark Auto Service in Circleville, Ohio
- B&M Automotive in Knoxville, Tennessee
- Dave’s Ultimate Automotive in Austin, Texas
- Santa Ana Auto Care in Houston, Texas
- Accurate-Tune Plus in Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Virginia
And the list goes on and on! A quick Internet search for “free ac checks in (your city)” can help you find a provider near you. If you find a place that’s not on our list, feel free to share it in a comment at the end of this post!
Why Get Your Car A/C Checked?
Whether you head to Pep Boys or your local mechanic, have your car A/C problems checked and repaired as soon as you can. The issue could be due to a worn valve, a refrigerant leak, or a broken belt, all of which could damage more than your A/C if left unrepaired. Even your car’s resale value could take a hit!
A courtesy A/C inspection is highly advisable, especially if you’re experiencing any of the following:
- Your car A/C is blowing warm air with or without a musty smell.
- There’s a decrease in air pressure from the air vents.
- You find wet spots or puddles by your car floor mats or on your driveway.
- You can’t remember the last time you replaced or checked your refrigerant (a.k.a. Freon).
Save with A/C Repair Coupons
Many national chains offer great coupons and free car services on a rolling basis. Depending on the time and place, you could save on everything from A/C repair to new windshield wipers! Check out service coupons from major shops to see what’s offered in your area:
Steer Clear of Car Troubles
Driving without air conditioning at the peak of summer is bad, but not as bad as driving without car insurance. That’s where we come in. While we don’t offer free A/C checks at Direct Auto, we do offer free quotes and affordable car insurance! Call 1-877-GO-DIRECT, click, or come in today for a free car insurance quote.
- Common Summertime Car Problems & How to Avoid Them
- Simply Ways to Keep Your Car Cooler This Summer
- How to Lower Car Insurance Costs