Every Fourth of July, thousands of Americans hit the road for vacation over the holiday weekend. In fact, AAA estimated that in 2016 84%, more than 36 million Americans, would drive to their destinations. Combined with the other fact that according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Independence Day is the number one deadliest day for fatal car crashes, if you drive on the Fourth of July you’re putting yourself at more of a risk for an accident to occur.
In addition to the number of people on the road, there’s a higher police presence not only surrounding the holiday for the reasons stated above, but also because of the higher consumption of alcohol by Fourth of July party-goers, resulting in higher DUI arrests. It’s better to play it safe and figure out other alternatives for getting to your destination.
However, another real threat to being on the road during the holiday is not being up-to-date on your car insurance or not renewing it in time before your hit the road.
Not to burst your party balloon, but we want to make sure you get to your destination safe and sound. So what can you do to protect you and your family?
- Make sure your coverage is current and the right policy for you. This is also a good time to take advantage of any discounts or additional protection. Direct Auto Insurance offers a Safe Driver Discount that could help you save up to 10% if you’re a policy member and have been violation-free and accident-free for the past 36 months. Direct also offers an Emergency Protection Plan to help you pay for any unexpected costs, provide valuable trip planning services and travel discounts in the event of a car accident.
- If you drive, plan to leave earlier or later to avoid higher traffic times.
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Check your tires for air or any unexpected nails.
- Make sure you can see out the back of the car if you’ve piled on the coolers, tents and whatnots for your celebration.
- If you’re traveling with a pet, be sure they have plenty of water in case you get stuck in traffic in a hot car.
- If all else fails, stay off the road or walk if your destination is close.
- More importantly, don’t drink and drive. Instead find a friend or family member to drive you, or chip in with your fellow party-goers for a ride-sharing service such as Lyft. Just download the app to your smartphone before you go!
Unsure about what your plan covers? Get yourself up to speed before you drive away to celebrate America’s birthday. At Direct, you can call, click or come in to speak to one of our licensed agents. We can help you find more ways to save money on your coverage with a free policy review. Call us at 1-877-463-4732 or visit any of our local offices.
*Not all products, discounts or payment plans are available in all states or distribution channels.
**All products described herein are subject to terms and conditions.
***Discounts subject to terms & conditions. Proof of eligibility may be required to retain discount.