The kids are almost out of school and you’re scrambling for ways to keep them busy! Stumped for fun things to do this summer? Check out this list of ten free (or almost free) activities you can do to keep the kids entertained and the whole family in tune with one another.
- Bowl for free! Sign up on KidsBowlFree.com and you’ll receive free bowling passes for your kids to enjoy every week. According to the site, these freebies are valued at over $500 per child!
- Visit a National Park on a free day. Go on a day trip to your nearest national park and don’t worry about paying the entrance fee on Free National Park Days.
- Get your hands dirty in a free workshop at Home Depot’s Free Kids Workshops or Bass Pro Shop which also offers a fun summer camp for kids!
- Start a small business together. You could wash cars, mow lawns, wash the neighbors’ windows, have a one-day garage sale, or start a lemonade stand. Keep it simple and have fun as a family. You can even use the money for an affordable family “staycation.”
- Go to an outdoor concert or festival. Search online for free summer concerts, farmer’s markets, and festivals in your city. These events are a great way to spend a weekend or an evening. Throw a picnic into the equation and it will feel like quite an event!
- Go to a movie. During the summer, many cinemas offer free or discounted movies during weekdays and weekday mornings. Go to your local cinema’s website or give them a call to ask about their summer movie specials for kids. Keep your eye out for an outdoor movie in your area as well!
- Let the kids help you cook. Sure, you may all get a little messy, but that’s what summer sprinklers are for! Check out these quick and healthy kid-friendly recipes from Food Network.
- Take a field trip to a nearby town. Check with convention centers and visitors’ bureaus for information about special summer events, as well as free attractions. According to Jody Halsted, a mother of two who writes for FamilyRambling.com, “They know of only festivals the locals know about.” Way to be “in the know!”
- Start a photography project. Let everyone in the family choose a different theme or subject and take photos all summer. Then, use the photos to create a scrapbook, collage, or slideshow, and share your creations with friends and family. Online coupon sites like Living Social and Groupon often have great deals on for making online photobooks.
- Get creative! Play glow-in-the-dark bowling, go geo-caching, build a fort in the living room, put together a family time capsule—the options are endless with a little creativity (and maybe a little help from the Internet). Read more about these fun activities!
What do you do to keep your family busy during the summer? Share your tips and tricks for simple summer fun below.
*Material in these articles is for general information or entertainment purposes only. Direct General does not endorse and is not affiliated with any of the companies or apps listed in this article. Direct General is not responsible or liable for the availability of links to websites or resources, or for any content, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available through these websites or resources. Any references to third party rates or products are subject to change without notice. Trademarks are property of their respective owners.