This Valentine’s Day, skip the box of chocolates and dazzle your loved ones with this quick and easy take on an undeniable classic: Mississippi Mud Bars! Dense brownie bars, gooey marshmallows, and a generous drizzle of chocolate syrup – need we say more?
Like so many beloved dishes, the origins of this chocolaty treat are about as murky as the waters of its namesake. One theory traces the Mississippi mud cake to the World War II era, when women on the home front developed the dessert recipe with ingredients already in their pantries. Another claims that a waitress in Vicksburg likened a melting piece of chocolate pie to the muddy banks of the Mississippi, and thus the mud pie was born.
Get a taste of history with this delicious Mississippi Mud Bars recipe. Check out the video below, or download the free recipe card.
Mississippi Mud Bars Recipe
- 1 package brownie mix + other ingredients according to package instructions (usually 2 eggs and vegetable oil)
- 3/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 (10.5-ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- Chocolate frosting
- Prepare brownie batter according to package instructions. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into baking dish and bake according to package instructions.
- Remove brownies from oven and top with an even layer of marshmallows. Return to oven and bake 5 more minutes.
- While brownies are baking, heat chocolate frosting in a microwave safe bowl.
- Remove brownies from oven and drizzle with chocolate frosting. Allow to cool completely before serving.
With locations throughout Mississippi, we know a thing or two about mud pie. Hey, we’re locals! We also know a thing or two about car insurance. Visit one of our local stores for a free car insurance quote, call 1-877-GO-Direct (1-877-463-4732), or visit us online. We’re always a quick call, click, or drive away!